How A Property Claim Is Handled

How A Property Claim Is Handled 2

When your property is damaged, perhaps by flooding or fire, it can be difficult to know what to do. If you have insurance, everything should be much easier to organise. You can make a claim so that your insurance provider can pay for repairs or perhaps replacement. However, you might be unsure about how the process works. Here’s what happens after you make that initial call.

If it is possible, in all circumstances try to speak to your insurer prior to having having any repairs carried out.


Give Your Insurer Evidence

They might ask you for some evidence of the damage. It’s for this reason that you should ensure you keep receipts for any emergency work you had to have done. For example, if there was a flood, you might have had to have some plumbing fixed. It can also help to take photos of any damage you want to have repaired. These pieces of evidence may be sufficient for small claims, but for larger ones they may want to send a loss adjuster to your home.


Insurance Company Assesses Damage

Your insurance provider will send someone to assess the damage to your property in some cases. If you have sent them sufficient evidence, they might not think it’s necessary to do an assessment themselves. In the event this cannot happen, some insurance companies might ask you to contact someone for a quote. Depending on the damage, more than one person might come to assess the situation. For example, you might need a builder and a furniture restorer to come and take a look.


The Insurer Follows Your Policy

Before you make a claim, it’s a good idea to have a thorough read of your insurance policy. It’s important to be familiar with it, determine their claims procedure and follow it. It’s important to have valuations for your possessions that you can show your insurer. They can be receipts or independent valuations of items. If you have this documentation, prepare by having it all together and make copies for your own records.


Insurance Company Authorisation

If your insurance company accepts the liability of your claim, they would then indicate the route to follow. Often they would have approved contractors and specialist suppliers who could undertake the work required. These companies would all have been through a tender process to ensure they qualify for the opportunity to undertake such work. The appointment of such suppliers would either be directly from the insurer or the appointed loss adjuster. If in cases it is more economical to replace an item or fitting than to restore this would then be the settlement from the insurer.

If you want your insurance claim to happen quickly, ensure to notify them at your earliest convenience. Run through the claims process and determine very clearly what should happen next.

Back To Blog


For more information about internal & external building conservation & preservation, please visit Ravenoak. A part of the Farcroft Restorations family.

Latest News

Why is the Mona Lisa so famous?

Read More

Triumph or travesty? The controversial restoration of the Sistine Chapel

Read More

The restoration of Huysmans at Wrest Park

Read More

Quick Contact


Type Of Enquiry*:


Tel No*: